Shouting into the Storm
Rantings, ramblings, observations and musings from the insipid to the sublime
The Joy of Homeownership
Friday, May 21, 2004 :::
Been too long since I've posted. I'll claim the usual suspects and move on.
I bought a house back in September. This weekend, I've decided to jump into my first major renovation. My father and I are redoing the bathroom. Here are a few observations on where the project is after Day 2:
- The original tiled walls were backed with chicken wire and cement.
- The stuff absolutely sucks to get off of the studs. Hours of work.
- But work that can be made easier with a really big crowbar.
- My tub is cast iron, and weighs as much as a dead bishop, according to the plumber.
- Plumbers are goddamn expensive.
- The floor of the bathroom does not have joists, nor a subfloor. Nope, it is 3 inches of solid concrete with tiles on top.
- Said concrete floor has the main pipes to the bathroom *inside of the concrete*
- I will never tear up the floor. Ever.
- Cement board is a damn pain in the ass to work with.