Shouting into the Storm Rantings, ramblings, observations and musings from the insipid to the sublime


B-Lieve

Thursday, October 28, 2004 :::
 
Everything that I have grown up knowing, has been wiped out.

For the first time in 86 years, the Boston Red Sox have won the World Series.

Better people and better writers than I have and will write about this. They will express the great and total relief. They will describe having to go a lifetime of taunts from Yankee fans. They will recite the Holy List of Futility, from Johnny Pesky holding the ball, to Bucky Fucking Dent, to Billy Buckner(Forgiven!). They will wax and wane about the Babe and No, No Nanette.

I can't do that, because I don't know what to feel, what to do. I've spent the better part of the last 18 years thinking about this moment. I have had countless discussions and daydreams about when they finally would win.

What I can tell you about is how the Red Sox have made me feel in the past few weeks. Desperately homesick. The Red Sox are so tightly entwined with New England, one can not separate one from the other. Watching clips of Fenway, the fans, the players, I think of Fall in Boston. Of the Whites in New Hampshire, the college kids at BU and BC, Xaverian football games. And damn if I don't miss all of it. I love DC, and DC has been very good to me over the past 4 years. It just doesn't have the roots and personality and cohesion that New England does.

So, I'm happy about this. I'm happy for my Mom, who was damn near killed my this team year after year. I can't wait to see her and tell her that the Red Sox have won a World Series.


::: posted by Chris at 1:07 AM


Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment





Shout Back

_______________
_______________

Rantings, ramblings, observations and musings from the insipid to the sublime



Powered by Blogger